Sunday, June 13, 2010

One is Too Many

I must admit that I am at a loss.  Please bear with me, this is difficult.  I am an extraordinarily fortunate person.  Which is not to say that my life is "Perfect", no one's is.  But I have been blessed with people who love me and who I love without abandon.  My children do not suffer from any serious intellectual or physical handicaps.  We are not worried about where our next meal will come from or if we will be warm next winter.  I do not take these blessings for granted.

However, there is that expression about bad things coming in three's.  And I don't like it.  Not one bit.

For one thing, it means that if you suffer through one bad thing, this means you need to be on the lookout for two more.  It also means that if you have made it through two bad things, you are constantly searching the horizon for the third.  What kind of life is that?

Today I had the good fortune to visit my LYS, but for the worst reason possible.  I needed to buy yarn for a third comfort shawl.   Personally, I believe that yarn shopping should be nothing short of joyous, but today I found myself walking into the shop with a set jaw, and the determination to find the perfect yarn for my sick friend.  This is the point at which joy and passion becomes a chore.  This marks the third comfort shawl I have undertaken.  I don't like these numbers one bit.  Three comfort shawls in two years?? How can that possibly be right?

These are all good, beautiful, smart and funny women.  I love them all.  They have all played an important role in my life.  If not for any of them, I would not be the person I am today.  I would do anything for any one of them; from folding their laundry and grocery shopping to taking care of them in their most dire moment of need.  This is the worst possible reason to knit for someone.  I hope you never, ever have to do it.  And I sincerely hope that it's the last time for me.

1 comment: